AMHUINNSUIDHE AND NORTH HARRIS THE HISTORY OF AN OUTER HEBRIDEAN SPORTING ESTATE BY DAVID S.D. JONES
For centuries forming the northern portion of the Harris estate in the Outer Hebrides, the Amhuinnsuidhe and North Harris estate, historically known as the "Forest of Harris ", covers an area of approximately 62,000 acres containing some of the most spectacular scenery in Scotland.
From the mid-thirteenth century until 1871, North Harris was used as a private deer hunting preserve by the MacLeod owners and their successors, the Earls' of Dunmore. The property was also managed as a large scale sheep farm from the late eighteenth century until the early eighteen fifties, when sheep and other livestock were cleared to form a Victorian style deer forest for letting purposes.
In 1871, the 7th Earl of Dunmore sold the northern part of Harris to Sir Edward Scott, Bt. retaining South Harris as his personal sporting estate. The property, which subsequently became known as the Amhuinnsuidhe and North Harris estate, was then managed as a private sporting estate primarily for deer stalking and salmon and trout fishing by Sir Edward and his successors until 1944 when the estate passed out of Scott family ownership.
The Amhuinnsuidhe and North Harris estate continued to be operated as a private sporting estate by the next owner, Lord Brocket, and his successor, Sir Thomas Sopwith, until 1961. Thereafter, the estate was managed along commercial lines by a number of proprietors who let out deer stalking, shooting and fishing for periods of a week or more at a time to paying guests who stayed in Amhuinnsuidhe Castle.
In 2003, the Amhuinnsuidhe and North Harris estate was purchased by the residents of North Harris in the form of a community buyout under the terms of the Land Reform ( Scotland ) Act in conjunction with Mr Ian Scarr-Hall, who acquired Amhuinnsuidhe Castle and the associated fishing rights as part of the deal. Mr Scarr-Hall now operates Amhuinnsuidhe Castle as a luxury hotel, offering stalking and fishing facilities and providing a unique venue for weddings and other events, while the North Harris Trust manage the estate on behalf of the community and are actively involved in a number of long term projects beneficial to the property, including the provision of social housing, the promotion of tourism and public access and the development of renewable energy.
AMHUINNSUIDHE AND NORTH HARRIS - THE HISTORY OF AN OUTER HEBRIDEAN SPORTING ESTATE is a limited edition paperback publication of 250 signed and numbered copies with a foreword by Mike Barnes, editor of The Scottish Sporting Gazette. The book contains 92 pages, 38 historic photographs and illustrations, and includes additional chapters about the history of Ardvourlie Castle, the Harris Hotel, the North Harris Fishings, as well as historic game records dating back to 1873.
Amhuinnsidhe and North Harris the History of an Outer Hebridean Sporting Estate
- Product Code: History of an Outer Hebridean Sporting Estate
- Availability: In Stock